Friday, December 21, 2012

10 looks, 10 pieces, 10 days

     PHOTO TAKEN FROM LUUUX.COM  


I recently updated my status on the She Pristine FB page about packing smart with only 10 pieces of clothing for my trip back home that lead to a request on how to pack "double duty" for those 10 days. As a kid, I remember playing a game on the computer where the objective was to fit all items given into a small briefcase. I can't remember the exact name at the top of my head, but I certainly did have deja vu while figuring this out. For starters, I'm a less is more type... to a certain extent, aaaand I could possibly be do some damage while shopping in San Francisco, duh! In just a moment, I'll guide you on how to pack light by utilizing the same pieces to create different looks in just 3 steps! Now this is MY short version, as I'm sure you can find a ton of results on the search engine on how to 'Pack the Perfect Luggage'. Long story short, the answer to your curious minds is yes, it is possible! I know, because I just did it... and every outfit looks killer. I'm kidding, or not, but check out what items of clothing I packed below and some tips I hope you'll find useful! 

My 10 Items of Clothing: 

- 4 Tops 
- 2 Skirts (in two different lengths)
- 2 Bottoms (Jeans & Trousers)
- 1 Blazer
- 1 Wool Coat

Other items... 

- 2 Pairs of Shoes 
- 2 Headwear Pieces (Beanie & Hat)
- 2 Belts
- Make Up / Hair Products
- Jewelry in a traveling pouch


Step 1: Research the weather to your destination. This might come in handy if you've packed a week worth of sunny 80 degrees weather and arrive to your unexpected drizzling and freezing destination in shorts and flip flops. What a nightmare that would be right? Do your research, quickly navigate to the weather app on your iPhone, and you can now start mapping out your looks! 

Step 2: Pack outfits that are versatile aka "double duty". I could start a whole new post on this, but to make things easier for you, make sure all your clothes can be mixed and matched depending on the situation. This means layering, making sure they work together. Three layers of light clothes can do the same job as a shirt and a heavy jacket (at least in Cali), it also gives you the opportunity to take the top layer off easily when you get indoors. I started off with laying out my first look, my 'Must Have' look. Where in this case, my Christmas outfit! This consisted of a top, a skirt, and a belt... boom, done. After you've completed your 'Must Have' look, move onto those colored skinny jeans you love to wear when shopping or brunching can also work for a nice dinner when paired with a blazer, a dressy blouse, and heels. Those heels you plan on wearing to that fancy dinner can double up for an a night out with the girls or to church on Sunday morning with the family. That leather jacket you love to wear with those coated skinnies when shopping downtown can be used over a casual and dressy top paired with that maxi skirt and diamonds for some Holiday sparkle for a Christmas party. Pack items of clothing, shoes, and accessories that can be worn for multiple occasions to not only keep your bag light, but to save you $$$ on air fare charges for additional luggage, extra space for new purchases/gifts, and just making worth of every piece in your luggage yet still having plenty of options to choose from. 

Step 3: Map out a strategy to maximize your better outfits. Most will spend about an entire day strolling around Union Square or sightseeing the Golden Gate Bridge, and the other half will spend time relaxing in the hotel room. It's always smart to pack a set of clothes for lounging (which shouldn't get dirty too quickly since you're probably sitting around) and looks for going out. If you wear your "going out" looks for 8 hours a day, you can easily get at least two or even a three days wear out of them before you worry they'll start to be a problem for anyone. (I'm talking about that not-so-ladylike-fragrance, mhm). But for the most part, you probably wouldn't do that since you'll be seeing new people while traveling, and no one will have a clue that this is the 3rd time in 10 days you've worn that cardigan. Don't worry, it's our little secret. 

Simple enough right? I did this all under 2 hours! I got distracted with text messages and answering emails, so I rolled into an extra 30 mins. I hope you'll find this useful when packing for your trip back home or wherever you plan on spending your Christmas! Have a wonderful and safe holiday spent with your loved ones in your amazing 10 looks! Happy New Year and God bless!! 

xo, Anne Marie 

No comments:

Post a Comment